Friday 12 September 2014

Ever seen dialysis disequilibrium syndrome in tomcat urethral obstruction?

Ostroski CJ, Cooper ES. Development of dialysis disequilibrium-like clinical signs during postobstructive management of feline urethral obstruction. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2014. 24(4):444-449.



Tomcat urethral obstruction is one of my favourite topics to discuss and teach about (sad, I know!) and yet again they do not fail me! Like many of you I’m sure, I have managed a large number of tomcats with urethral obstruction in my time and I don’t recall this progression ever happening. I have been aware of dialysis disequilibrium syndrome, especially having worked in a hospital where dialysis is available, and I found this case report very interesting. As always of course it is very difficult to know the true incidence of this development in blocked tomcats as it may go unrecognised by the people managing the case if neurological signs are attributed to another aetiology, or indeed it may be suspected but go unreported. I guess I can say that from my own personal experience and that of colleagues, it is a rare development in tomcats with urethral obstruction but definitely something to bear in mind.

Have you ever come across this before? If so, I would love to hear about it!

Case report highlights

Some of the bits from the report that I thought it worth including here are as follows. If anyone actually wants a PDF of the case report then feel free to email me – I think it is okay for me to send a copy to individuals for educational purposes without breaking any laws!

“Dialysis disequilibrium syndrome (DDS) is characterized by neurologic symptoms of varying severity resulting from overly rapid decreases in peripheral osmolality during a dialysis procedure…With rapid decreases in blood osmolality, cerebral edema develops due to the resulting gradient between cerebral tissues and blood, causing an acute increase in intracranial pressure. This syndrome has been recognized in both human and veterinary patients undergoing hemodialysis…Cats with urethral obstruction are often severely azotemic on presentation and therefore have the potential for similar rapid decreases in urea concentrations in the postobstructive period. The purpose of this report is to describe an instance of suspected postobstructive DDS-like clinical signs in a male cat.”

This was a 5-year old castrated male domestic short hair cat weighing 5.26 kg.
On presentation this patient was towards the severe end of the spectrum of presentation being moribund and with clinically significant hyperkalaemia; interestingly also a mild hypoglycaemia (not unheard of in these cases but I would say definitely unusual) that actually persisted and had to be corrected by supplementation.
Nothing about the management was especially noteworthy I would say (cystocentesis was performed before catheterisation was attempted which is very much not what I do/teach but let’s leave that aside on this occasion!).

Following catheterisation the cat developed a marked post-obstructive diuresis.

Approximately 5 hours after catheterisation he had a generalised seizure and then developed respiratory arrest:

“Repeat assessment of electrolyte concentrations and blood-gas values revealed resolution of acidemia, mild hypocalcemia, and marked reduction in azotemia…Given that neither hypoglycemia nor hypocalcemia appeared to be the cause of the seizure activity, the concern was raised that an acute change in BUN, and thereby osmolality was responsible (in a process similar to DDS). Because of this concern, the patient was administered a bolus of 7% hypertonic saline (2 mL/kg, IV) over 5 minutes. By the end of the infusion he started to breathe spontaneously and his PLRs had improved. The patient was still mentally obtunded but was able to be extubated 15 minutes later….Approximately 90 minutes after this initial episode, the cat's neurologic condition again deteriorated. He displayed opisthotonus and his PLRs were diminished. Because of the continued concern for osmotic injury, the patient was given an additional IV bolus of hypertonic saline (2 mL/kg), after which the cat's mentation again improved. At this point, a continuous rate IV infusion of 3% sodium chloride was initiated in an effort to maintain blood osmolality and to prevent further clinical signs….The following morning, the patient's mentation remained depressed but he was slightly more responsive; there were no further seizures….His mental status steadily improved throughout the course of the day and his urine output (and IV fluid rate) gradually decreased.

Throughout the remainder of hospitalization the patient's neurologic status continued to improve and appeared to be completely mentally appropriate within 40 hours of the onset of seizure activity.”

He was eventually discharged and was reportedly doing fine at follow up after 2 days and 3 months.

“As a clinical syndrome, DDS has been reported in human and veterinary patients undergoing hemodialysis for treatment of renal disease.

The pathogenesis of DDS is still unclear, but there are 2 major theories to explain the development of cerebral edema. Both theories are predicated on the presence of a hyperosmolar state and the development of a gradient between cerebral tissues and the blood followed by rapid reduction of peripheral osmolality. The result is an intracellular shift of extracellular water leading to neuronal swelling, increased intracranial pressure, and the clinical signs associated with cerebral edema (eg, dull mentation, seizures).” I am not going to include any more detail about the theories here!

“The diagnosis of DDS is one of exclusion, and is primarily based on a predisposing clinical situation and development of characteristic neurologic signs…DDS has been documented in both experimental models and clinical reports of veterinary species undergoing dialysis…Based on clinical signs and available laboratory data, we suspect that the patient described in this report suffered from clinical signs similar to DDS. This syndrome is typically seen in patients that undergo a rapid decrease in serum urea in a short period and is a diagnosis of exclusion. In this case, the patient had BUN of 89.3 mmol/L [250 mg/dL] at first measurement that rapidly decreased to 19.9 mmol/L [56 mg/dL] over a 7 hour time span. This likely occurred secondary to a marked post-obstructive diuresis, producing 92.5 mL/h of urine in the 4 hours just prior to the onset of neurologic signs. Although the decline of BUN is not as rapid as that seen with DDS in hemodialysis patients, this patient still experienced a change in osmolality of 67 mOsm/kg (or ∼ 9 mOsm/kg/h) during that period, much faster than the target rate of 1–2 mOsm/kg/h...Furthermore, administration of hypertonic saline repeatedly resulted in significant improvement in the patient's neurologic status, supporting the notion that the signs were a result of changes in serum osmolality.”

“Based on the clinical signs, laboratory values, and response to treatment, we suspect that this patient experienced an episode (characterized by altered mentation, seizure, and brief cessation of breathing) consistent with the clinical syndrome associated with DDS. The patient's neurologic signs corresponded with rapid decreases in BUN (secondary to marked postobstructive diuresis) and responded to treatment with a hyperosmolar solution. To the authors’ knowledge, this has not been reported as a potential complication to treatment of feline urethral obstruction in veterinary medicine. Practitioners should be aware of this potential complication as a cause of prolonged neurologic recovery or seizures in the postobstructive period of severely azotemic patients, and frequent monitoring of electrolytes, BUN, and neurologic status may be indicated. If rapid decreases in osmolarity and BUN are detected during early case management, or if otherwise unexplained neurologic signs develop, administration of hyperosmolar solutions may be of benefit.”

19 comments:

  1. From Facebook:

    Ben Brainard "have seen it once, also following removal of ureteral stones...[cases did] fine. a little mannitol and they were normal again."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what fluid therapy the cat had before the onset of the suspected DDS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bolus then infusion of Plasma-lyte 148. If you would like a copy of the case report, please feel free to email shailenjasani@gmail.com.

      Delete
  3. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to give a testimony about a great illuminate member
    made that me to be who I am today at first I taught he was a
    scam but letter he told me that I should go and purchase
    some items that. Will cost me and I was like saying this man
    is a scam but he encouraged me to purchase the items and
    he also said that it was for my own good and I really send him
    the money and the next day he send me my pot of money and
    some parcel look at me now am very rich and famous if you
    want to be rich you can get in touch with him on WhatsApp
    number +27638498956 or gmail akhigbemudujohn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found Dr okiti online and read his reviews which were all good so I decided to call him for a psychic reading. I must say I was surprised with his accuracy. Over all I had an insightful reading and some of the things he told me have come true. I would recommend dr okiti to my friends and anyone looking to for a reading, and get your ex back in 48hours Okitilovespelltample@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte Small2 July 2020 at 01:18

    I can't believe that just with a phone call i made to Dr.OKITI, I got my ex back to me within 48 hours interval. I had read some stuff about Dr.OKITI before i called him but i didn't know that all those stuff were so accurate until i got my ex back, After getting my ex back i taught it wise to share my testimony with every one on this website that Dr.OKITI is a real and powerful spell caster that rebuild any broken relationship or marriage with love spell. Do feel free to Contact Dr.OKITI via Call or What-App +2348140757352. Email..Okitilovespelltemple@gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost my love to someone else. I was sad, and wanted him back badly. I've called Dr Okiti in the past to get readings and some guidance and figured he would be the one to help me. His love spell brought my boyfriend back to me. He completely forgot about the other person and came back to me open and more loving than ever.. Okitilovespelltemple@gmail. com or Whatsapp +2348140757352

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Louis Edmond, I am from USA. I want to share a testimony about Dr Aluya, a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one a day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called dr Aluya, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first I never believed all that he was saying until when my husband returned home two days later begging me to forgive him for all that he had done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believed it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com.  or whatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Louis Edmond, I am from USA. I want to share a testimony about Dr Aluya, a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one a day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called dr Aluya, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first I never believed all that he was saying until when my husband returned home two days later begging me to forgive him for all that he had done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believed it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com.  or whatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted thcomis spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted thcomis spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  14. My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good day to you, here is a quick one, just in case you are desperately in need of a trustworthy spell caster to help revive your crumbled relationship. Here is one that is truly versatile, compassionate and reliable when it comes to spell casting.. Doctor Abolo spelling home is the right choice for you. Contact and explain to him and I can assure you that the rest would be complete magic, my love life was on the verge of collapse until I ordered for a love spell while all due procedures were properly followed, I am a living witness that Doctor Abolo spell magic does work that is why i'm using all medium to let the world know of this great witch doctor who brought back peace and unity to my home, Talk to him today and have your emotional setbacks wiped out totally.
    You reach him at these contacts! Abolospell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. OKu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. husbandThat was how Dr. Oku helped me to bring my  back.. A big thank you to Dr. Oku because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Let you in over back or your husband moves to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:Email him at: okutemple@gmail.com You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2348163425519

    ReplyDelete
  17. HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK & HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK

    MY TRUE LIFE STORY HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK.

    I want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then he told me to contact: dromokpo@gmail.com that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man.Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and i forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship stress or broken marriage situation and you want your Ex lover, Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete