Saturday 23 August 2014

Syringe feeding: Yes, No, or It depends?

A while back I recorded a podcast on nutrition in sick animals with Dan Chan DACVECC DACVN, Head of Emergency and Critical Care (ECC) at the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals, Royal Veterinary College, UK. The podcast is linked to at the end of this blog post. One of the things we discussed in that podcast was the use of syringe feeding.


Question


I recently received an email from an RVC graduate who is now working in practice in which she wrote:

“I had a question after listening to the podcast 'Nutrition in sick animals'.
It is about syringe feeding, the hospital I currently work in routinely syringe feed, being an RVC graduate I am on the fence in regards to this issue after being taught at the QMH not to syringe feed.

My question is in certain circumstances I can see why syringe feeing can be useful and I was just wondering how the QMH overcome these situations without syringe feeding.
My main example is if a patient in the hospital is too nervous or sometimes scared to eat, you have tried hand feeding and encourage the owners to come in and feed them, possibly even attempting appetite stimulators (e.g. mirtazapine). What would be the next step if the animal still refused to eat? In this instant would placing a feeding tube be the next step?”

My response


To which I replied focusing only on enteral (not mentioning parenteral) nutrition:

“Nice to hear from you and glad you are listening to the podcasts. In answer to your questions, what I would say is the following...

So obviously the reason that one might be considering syringe feeding is because you are worried that the patient is not receiving sufficient nutrition and that this carries potential adverse effects - as discussed in the podcast. Then you have to ask yourself whether syringe feeding is a strategy that will be able to improve this situation as always using a risk/harm-benefit assessment:

  • So on the benefit side, it may result in the patient receiving more nutrition; it is also cheap and does not require any fancy equipment or much in the way of skilled training to do - although clearly people need to know what they are doing.
  • On the risk/harm side, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to give the patient their calorific requirement via this route - but you could say, reasonably, "well something is better than nothing".
  • But even more on the risk/harm side is the negative experience for the patient: if as you say the patient is already too nervous or scared to eat on their own, will syringing food into them help their state of well-being more than if they just did not get any nutrition? If the patient is really not compliant and requires restraint/forcing clearly this is even worse - but I am sure (most) people would not push it that far. And of course they may not be eating because they feel too ill or nauseous so making them is not very pleasant and they can develop food aversion - as Dan says, whenever having food is a negative experience this is a risk.
  • And then there is the risk - albeit I don't think a very big one - of aspiration. And we need to bear contraindications in mind, e.g. facial injuries, inability to swallow etc.

BUT there are certainly animals where one or two episodes of syringe feeding seems to prompt them to start eating on their own - whether it is because they overcome their nervousness or some other psychological or physiological 'block'. And so in suitable cases where all you are trying to do is to see if you can kick-start the patient to eat themselves, then trying this once or twice at a push does not seem unreasonable - but very much on an individual case by case basis bearing in mind everything I have said above about that individual patient's circumstances, what your intended purpose is and what the risk/harm-benefit assessment is.

What I would do if the patient was not willing/able to nourish him/herself adequately would depend on the patient in question...Options:

1. If the patient is doing well in all other respects other than lack of nutrition, then although we understand and support the need for early nutrition, on this individual occasion we may choose to just tolerate the status quo. This would typically be a patient that we anticipate sending home very soon and in which the morbidity was not significant (e.g. say a post-TPLO patient or something like that).

2. Same as option 1. but actually can we send the patient home sooner than we maybe would have otherwise to see whether things improve? This might for example mean a different analgesia strategy to go home with but can we make it happen? Are the clients willing to provide more home care than originally discussed?

3. And yes in a number of cases where nutrition is insufficient and the patient is nowhere near ready to even trial home discharge, feeding tube.

I might be wrong but I imagine there are more patients in category 1. or 2. where you work in first opinion than say at a tertiary referral centre like the QMHA.

Feeding tubes of whatever sort are obviously going to cost more than syringe feeding but there may also be some cost-saving in quicker healing and recovery. Also the vast majority of patients tolerate the tubes and the feeding well. Naso-oesophageal less so than oesophageal/gastric but even so. And placement will require anything from mild sedation to general anaesthesia depending on the tube in question.

Often we will place feeding tubes - especially oesophageal - pre-emptively if the patient is having anaesthesia for a procedure and we anticipate that they are unlikely to eat and nutrition will be an issue. So for example the surgeons might place an oesophagostomy tube when they are fixing fractures in RTA cats on the basis that the benefits of having the tube there outweigh the fact that we may not use it. BUT we also have cases where the patient is eating something on their own but not enough and we can then use the tube to top up their intake.

Does that help at all?”

I am as always very interested to hear your thoughts on this.



The podcast episode in question can be accessed here.

AND if you would like a PDF document entitled Top Ten Tips on Nutrition in Sick Animals derived from this podcast PLEASE CLICK HERE

10 comments:

  1. I want to give a testimony about a great illuminate member
    made that me to be who I am today at first I taught he was a
    scam but letter he told me that I should go and purchase
    some items that. Will cost me and I was like saying this man
    is a scam but he encouraged me to purchase the items and
    he also said that it was for my own good and I really send him
    the money and the next day he send me my pot of money and
    some parcel look at me now am very rich and famous if you
    want to be rich you can get in touch with him on WhatsApp
    number +27638498956 or gmail akhigbemudujohn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testimony how I end my financial worries

    Gooday Everyone, We provide loans to private individuals, companies and cooperating institutions I'm Mrs. Cassie Zion .I live in Ohio and I am a happy mother today, I want to thank Mr. Lake Bell for the loan offers, a God fearingman.contact him via: lakebell256@gmail.com

    Best regard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that just with a phone call i made to Dr.OKITI, I got my ex back to me within 48 hours interval. I had read some stuff about Dr.OKITI before i called him but i didn't know that all those stuff were so accurate until i got my ex back, After getting my ex back i taught it wise to share my testimony with every one on this website that Dr.OKITI is a real and powerful spell caster that rebuild any broken relationship or marriage with love spell. Do feel free to Contact Dr.OKITI via Call or What-App +2348140757352. Email..Okitilovespelltemple@gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found Dr okiti online and read his reviews which were all good so I decided to call him for a psychic reading. I must say I was surprised with his accuracy. Over all I had an insightful reading and some of the things he told me have come true. I would recommend dr okiti to my friends and anyone looking to for a reading, and get your ex back in 48hours Okitilovespelltample@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Dr okiti online and read his reviews which were all good so I decided to call him for a psychic reading. I must say I was surprised with his accuracy. Over all I had an insightful reading and some of the things he told me have come true. I would recommend dr okiti to my friends and anyone looking to for a reading, and get your ex back in 48hours Okitilovespelltample@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte Small2 July 2020 at 01:17

    I can't believe that just with a phone call i made to Dr.OKITI, I got my ex back to me within 48 hours interval. I had read some stuff about Dr.OKITI before i called him but i didn't know that all those stuff were so accurate until i got my ex back, After getting my ex back i taught it wise to share my testimony with every one on this website that Dr.OKITI is a real and powerful spell caster that rebuild any broken relationship or marriage with love spell. Do feel free to Contact Dr.OKITI via Call or What-App +2348140757352. Email..Okitilovespelltemple@gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a testimony that i will tell to every one to hear. i have been married four 2 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another man had a spell to take my lover away from me and my wife left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Dr, Aluya have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love wife home and believe me i just send my picture to her and that of me and after 15hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my wife and she have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar to met with this man and have your lover back to your self His email:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com OR aluya.48hoursspelltemple@yahoo.com https://draluya48hoursspelltemple.webs.com/

    WhatsApp him at (+2348110493039)thank so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Aluya can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Aluya . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail: aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com    OR       aluya.48hoursspelltemple@yahoo.com  Whats App +2348110493039

    https://draluya48hoursspelltemple.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sir,

    I'm an expert in Finance, Investments, Assets Collateralization and Banking. I am a Direct Mandate to a genuinely renowned Investment Finance Company offering Cash & Asset Backed Financial Instruments on Lease and Sale at the best rates and with the most feasible procedures.

    The provider company is also one of the main entities with World's Top Organizations and operates under the Capital & Investments Arm providing Finance, instruments offered can be put in all forms of trade and can be monetized or discounted for direct funding.

    Kind revert to have our working terms for further proceedings. For Inquiry contact.

    Email: longmornprojectfinances@gmail.com

    Skype: longmornprojectfinance@hotmail.com

    Whatsapp : +1(661)262-9225

    Intermediaries / Consultants / Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together.

    Warm Regards
    Simon Federman

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Owo. I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for 5 year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Lisa who told me about a spell caster called Dr Owo , She gave me his contact drowoherbs@gmail.com\ WhatsApp +1 (717) 473-7391 I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle, i couldn't conceive but as soon as the priest pray for me, i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child, My heart is filled up of happiness to share my life marriage and relationship story with you over here. If you need any assistance from him you can contact him via WhatsApp: +1 (717) 473-7391

    ReplyDelete